Dr. Otieno is a Coordinator of the Regional Center of Expertise Greater Nairobi, a network hosted by Kenyatta University to promote and implement education for sustainable development in 4 Counties;Nairobi, Machakos, Kiambu and Kajiado. Dr Otieno is a lecturer and a supervisor of educational Planning and Policy Studies for graduate degree courses. She holds a PhD in Educational Planning and Economicsof Education. Dr Otieno is an Echidna Global Scholars Alumni, a global education programme with girls education focus by the Center for Universal Education at the Brookings Institution, Washington DC,USA.
Before joining Kenyatta University, Dr Otieno was a research executive with Research International,specialized in market and social research for policy decision making. Dr Otieno serves in various boards including: Kenyatta University School of Education Curriculum Review, Kenyatta University Outreach programme, Mutwala Girls Secondary School and Chair Centre for Research, Communication and Gender in Early Childhood Education (CRECHE) others. She is also a member of such professional bodies as Women Educational Researchers of Kenya (WERK), The African Women’s’ Development and Communications Network (FEMNET), National Women’s Education Initiative (NEMA) and Teacher Education International Networks (TEINs) on Education for Sustainable Development.
Research and Publications
Articles in Refereed Journals – indicate separately the joint/individual/authored with students/local/Kenyan and international journals/publications
- 2014, Atkinson, Wade, and Otieno, Heeg, O’Brennan, Parker, Petry, Benko, Koganezawa and Ichinose, Blewitt: The Challenges of Sustainability; Linking Politics, Education and Learning,
Participation in Workshops/Conferences
- Capacity Building workshop for the Echidna Global Scholars Alumni, December, 10-12, 2014
- 8th Biennial Unesco ESD Meeting of the International Network of Teacher Education Institutions, November 14-17, 2014, Okayama, Japan
- UNESCO World Conference on ESD, in Nagoya-Aichi, Japan 10-12November 2014
- Unite Nations 9th Global RCE Conference, Okayama, Japan, November 4-8 2014
- Paper presentation at the 4th African RCE Continental Meeting in Windhoek, Namibia conference of the Environmental Education Association of Southern Africa (EEASA): University of Namibia/Main Campus, 9-12 September 2014.
- Commission on Status of Women (CSW) 58th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) in New York, USA, 10th – 21th March 2014
- Regional Education for Sustainable Development Policy Workshop for the East African Countries, held I Mwanza, Tanzania, October 28th – 29th 2013
- Community-Engaged Research Workshop and 3rd African RCE meeting in Abuja Nigeria, 19th – 24th August, 2013
- Pre-8th Global Conference RCEs Workshop, Golf Hotel, Kakamega, Kenya, 31st July – 3rd August 2013
- Scientific Paper Writing Workshop, Kenyatta University Conference Center (KUCC) 24th -27 August 2013
- Commission on Status of Women (CSW) 57th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) in New York, USA, 4th – 15th March 2013
- The Girl Power Camp; JustLikeMyChild Foundation, 6th – 9th February 2013, (Luwero) Uganda.
- The Launch of the Faith-based ESD Toolkit and Program for Eco-Schools, 18th July 2013
- Education for Sustainable Development in Africa (ESDA-SUD) Programme Planning Meeting 7th December 2011, Lord Errol Gigiri, Nairobi
- Evidenced based-Based Education: Policy Making and Reform in Africa, Accra, Ghana; 14th – 19th May 2012
- The launch of a Private Eco-Schools Networks Conference at Brookhouse School, Nairobi, Kenya, 19th November, 2011
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences.
- The Impact of Mentoring on Learning Outcomes: Adolescent Girls and the Challenges of Menstruation held on 29th June 2012 at the Centre for Universal Education, The Brookings Institution, Washington DC USA
- Mid-Term Evaluation of Non-State Actors in non-formal Education and Vocational skills project in Somaliland paper, Educational Center, Hergesa, Somaliland 17th May 2011
- Employee Satisfaction Survey Report for Kenya Literature Bureau presented at Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, 11th July 2011
- Employee Satisfaction Survey Report for Kenya Literature Bureau presented at Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, 29th July 2009
- Employee Satisfaction, Quality of Workplace Environment and HIV/AIDS Behavior Change Survey 12th June 2009
- Employee Satisfaction Survey Report for Kenya Literature Bureau presented at Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, 30th June 2008
- The impact of HIV/AIDS on Teachers in Kenya: A Pilot Study in Nairobi, Machakos and Siaya presented at Teachers service Commission, Nairobi 8th October 2007
Convening and Coordination Conferences
- 25th – 29th November, 2013: Chair and Planning Coordinator of the Eighth Global Regional Centre of Expertise (RCE) Conference, United Nations Office, Nairobi, Kenya,
- 8th March 2012: Member of Planning and Coordinating Committee of International Conference on Educational Reforms and Innovation in Enhancing Quality and Equity at Kenyatta University Conference Centre (KUCC), Nairobi, Kenya
- Coordinator, Regional Center of Expertise Greater Nairobi (RCEGN)
- Member Kenyatta University Community Outreach Programme
- Course Coordinator, Educational Planning and Economics of Education
- Secretary to Departmental Postgraduate Defense Committee